• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
On April 3, a research report by CLSA indicated that ChinaSoft International (00354.HK)s revenue fell 1% year-on-year to RMB 16.951 billion last year, and the first disclosed AI-related revenue was RMB 957 million, accounting for 5.6% of revenue. The companys price reduction strategy has led to a decline in gross profit margin, and the main reason for the lower-than-expected net profit is a one-time impact. The bank expects the companys fundamentals to improve this year, mainly because the number of employees increased in the second half of last year. The bank expects the companys net profit to reach RMB 748 million this year, up 45.8% year-on-year, and lowered the target price from HK$7 to HK$6.5, maintaining the rating of outperforming the market.On April 3, the Australian bond market has experienced a dovish turn since the White House announced its new tariff agenda. IG market analyst Tony Sycamore said that the market has priced in an 85% chance that the Reserve Bank of Australia will cut interest rates by 25 basis points in May. Subsequent rate cuts are expected in August and November, with a cumulative rate cut of 75 basis points by November. He added that US tariffs have far exceeded expectations, increasing the likelihood of a trade war and recession in the United States. He also said that since goods from countries such as Vietnam are now effectively shut out of the United States, cheap goods are expected to flood other Asian markets.Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi declined to comment when asked about the possibility of retaliation against U.S. tariffs.Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi: We believe that the recent US tariff measures may have a significant impact on the multilateral trading system, and we strongly call on the United States to exclude Japan from these measures.Japanese Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Yoji Muto: The online meeting with US counterparts was held before the tariffs were announced.

Peruvian Protesters Consent to Participate in Negotiations on MMG's Closed Copper Mine

Charlie Brooks

May 07, 2022 09:34

C2.png


Indigenous communities protesting the Las Bambas copper mine in Peru have agreed to meet with government and industry representatives on Saturday to discuss the disagreement that has led to the temporary closure of the project.


Las Bambas in southern Peru, owned and operated by China's MMG Ltd, produces 2 percent of the world's copper and contributes significantly to Peru's economy, accounting for around 1 percent of the country's gross domestic product.


The two protesting communities of Fuerabamba and Huancuire, whose members began camping on mine land in mid-April, affirmed in a document obtained by Reuters that they will participate in negotiations. They propose that they should take place outside of the surrounding area where a state of emergency has been declared.


MMG refutes the communities' claims that the firm has not met its social investment obligations.


In a letter to Prime Minister Anibal Torres, the leaders of the two groups stated, "As a demonstration of our true desire for dialogue, we affirm our participation in the meeting."


This week, community leaders stated they would not attend any meetings unless the emergency status for the area surrounding the mine was withdrawn, but Torres denied their request.


Police unsuccessfully sought to remove Huancuire community members last week, while Fuerabamba residents were expelled days earlier.


The state of emergency, which was declared at the end of April, curtailed civil liberties, including the rights to gather and demonstrate.


Fuerabamba was relocated a decade ago to make room for Las Bambas, but continuous protests and obstacles have since halted production at the profitable mine.