• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
On August 21, Ukrainian Energy Minister Shmyhal stated that Ukraines energy reserves, including natural gas and coal, needed for the winter are nearing or have exceeded planned targets. Speaking to the Verkhovna Rada (parliament) regarding the protection of winter energy facilities and energy preparedness, Shmyhal said that underground gas storage facilities currently hold 14.3 billion cubic meters of natural gas, close to the previously set target of 14.6 billion cubic meters for winter storage; coal reserves have already exceeded targets. Furthermore, winter fuel reserves are being established to prioritize power supply to backup generators and critical infrastructure in frontline areas. Shmyhal said that by the end of this year, Ukraines total installed power generation capacity is expected to reach 19.6 gigawatts, exceeding the minimum required power generation capacity for the winter. Shmyhal also stated that Ukraine has allocated 35 billion hryvnia (approximately US$785 million) this year to strengthen the protection of local energy facilities.On August 21, Iranian Foreign Minister Araqchi posted on social media that the sanctions and pressure policies imposed on Iran by successive US administrations "have all ended in failure," and the latest economic pressure measures announced by the US are also "doomed to failure." Araqchi reviewed a series of US policies against Iran in recent years—14 years ago, the US declared the imposition of the "toughest sanctions in history," 8 years ago it implemented "maximum pressure," and 5 months ago it demanded Irans "unconditional surrender"—all of which ultimately failed. Regarding US President Trumps recent announcement of "the most destructive economic action in history" against Iran, Araqchi stated that this action is also "doomed to failure." He also criticized the lack of substantial change in the US policy towards Iran by successive administrations. Araqchi wrote: "Weve seen this drama before; the same nonsense, just with a different group of bullies."August 21st - According to the Globe and Mail, sources revealed that a potential trade agreement being negotiated between Canada and the United States would introduce a tariff quota system for Canadian steel exports. Exports within the quota would be subject to a 25% tariff, while exports exceeding the quota would be subject to a 50% tariff. According to a steel industry executive, Canada has agreed to a tariff quota system for steel, allowing 4 million tons of steel annually to be shipped to the United States at the lower 25% tariff rate. Exports exceeding this 4 million tons will still face a 50% tariff. Two other industry sources confirmed that Ottawa and Washington have agreed to a 25% tariff within the quota. Canada has agreed to eliminate all reciprocal tariffs on U.S. steel and further restrict steel imports from third countries. In addition, Canada is also negotiating aluminum trade terms with the goal of reducing tariffs.The German DAX 30 index closed up 136.45 points, or 0.52%, at 26,148.00 on Friday, August 21; the UK FTSE 100 index closed up 71.22 points, or 0.66%, at 10,819.38 on Friday, August 21; and the French CAC 40 index closed up 31.34 points, or 0.37%, at 8,484.43 on Friday, August 21; the Euro... The Stoxx 50 index closed up 44.59 points, or 0.69%, at 6466.65 on Friday, August 21; the Spanish IBEX 35 index closed up 144.52 points, or 0.73%, at 19962.52 on Friday, August 21; and the Italian FTSE MIB index closed up 39.18 points, or 0.07%, at 52705.00 on Friday, August 21.On August 21, Iranian Navy Commander Shahram Ilani stated that the area east of the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman—a crucial waterway connecting the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf—is currently under Irans "complete control," and that Iran is "monitoring all movements of hostile forces outside the region around the clock." He added that the Iranian armed forces, under the leadership of the Supreme Leader, remain on high alert and "will soon deliver a major, historic, and unforgettable lesson to the enemy at sea."

India Has Instructed Its States to Increase Coal Imports Over The Next Three Years

Charlie Brooks

Apr 28, 2022 09:36

c2.png


India has ordered its states to increase coal imports for the next three years in order to replenish inventories and meet demand, four sources told Reuters, a decision that will help global coal prices, which are already high due to the Ukraine war.


The decision to increase imports highlights the seriousness of India's fuel crisis, as coal inventories are at their lowest level in at least nine years and energy consumption is expected to grow at the quickest rate in over four decades.


India, the world's second-largest importer of coal, might boost global demand until 2025, as Power Minister R K Singh has extended the timescale for a federal campaign to boost imports that had been viewed as a temporary measure.


"The states were asked to continue importing because the private sector will not create considerable output until at least early 2025," said a power ministry official who attended Singh's Tuesday meeting with state leaders.


Additionally, the state-run rail network is chronically short of trains capable of transporting domestic coal, the official added.


Two state officials who attended the meeting and two officials from the electricity ministry declined to be identified since the topic is secret.


States were urged to negotiate long-term import agreements to assure supply and decrease prices, as well as to purchase rail wagons to address logistics issues, according to another ministry official who was briefed on the meeting but did not attend.


Increased coal imports might benefit miners such as Indonesia's Adaro Energy, Australia's Whitehaven Coal Ltd, and India's largest coal trader, Adani Enterprises, which started producing coal from its controversial Carmichael mine in Australia this year.


However, rising global coal prices will put pressure on India's debt-ridden utilities, threatening to exacerbate their financial troubles.


Global prices have risen sharply on fears of a supply shortage following the European Commission's decision to prohibit Russia from importing coal following its invasion of Ukraine, which Moscow described as a "special military operation."


India, which has a long-standing objective of reducing coal imports, stated in December that no imports should be made except for those deemed absolutely necessary.


In March, the administration announced that it had "significantly reduced imports despite an increase in electricity consumption," a reduction it credited to key reforms.


"They only urged us to reduce imports last year," one of the state officials stated during Tuesday's meeting. "They now want us to import as much as possible, claiming supply shortages. This is an extremely perplexing, mixed signal."


The minister's words to state officials constitute a directive, as New Delhi has a disproportionate amount of authority over domestic coal production and distribution.


While the energy-hungry nation has made international promises to gradually reduce its reliance on coal, it has stated that it will not phase out coal-fired power stations in the foreseeable future due to their low cost.


Despite record production by state-run Coal India, India confronts coal shortages. It produces 80 percent of India's coal as the world's largest coal miner.


Indian Railways has failed to increase supply, despite a drop in utility inventory.