• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
The Israeli Prime Ministers Office reported that Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Katz held a security assessment meeting Sunday evening regarding the threat of drones, balloons, and kites being launched from the Gaza Strip into Israel. Israel warned Hamas that if such launches against Israel do not cease immediately, the Israel Defense Forces will intensify targeted strikes against those responsible.On August 24, according to Irans Mehr News Agency, Hassan Kashkawi, spokesman for the Iranian Parliaments National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, announced on Sunday that the committee had adopted Article 3 of the "Strategic Action Plan for Ensuring the Security and Development of the Strait of Hormuz." He stated, "According to this article, we will charge fees for the provision of maritime services, environmental services, fuel supplies in special circumstances, insurance, security, and other services." These fees will be collected from vessels of relevant countries authorized to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, paid in rials or other currencies designated by the Islamic Republic of Iran. He emphasized the importance of respecting the rights of littoral states along the Strait of Hormuz, stating, "We should not forget that international laws and regulations, in addition to recognizing freedom of navigation, also emphasize respect for the security and sovereignty of littoral states and the prevention of violations of these rights."According to Sky News Arabia: The head of Egypts intelligence agency met with the Palestinian Vice President and Chairman of the Palestinian National Council, and the two discussed the situation in the West Bank and the upcoming Palestinian elections.On August 23, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated that Ukraine did not participate in any actions to sabotage the Nord Stream gas pipeline connecting Russia and Europe. This comes after a Ukrainian suspect wanted by Germany was arrested in Croatia, becoming the second Ukrainian suspect detained in the case. Zelenskyy said, "Ukraine has never participated in this operation, not even in the first place. I hope the investigation will be fruitful. We are ready to provide assistance." Zelenskyy indicated that the Ukrainian Prosecutors Office and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are investigating the matter.On August 23, some Japanese citizens held a rally in Tokyo to protest the Sanae Takaichi governments attempts to revise the constitution and its series of military expansion initiatives. Participants strongly opposed the governments push to revise the "Three Security Documents" and attempt to amend the "Three Non-Nuclear Principles."

Southern Copper Says Peru Project Still Closed Despite Recent Peace Accord

Haiden Holmes

Apr 14, 2022 09:51

CO2.png


A recent agreement aimed at resolving demonstrations at the Cuajone copper mine prompted the corporation to dismiss accusations against protest leaders, despite a continuous blockage of the mine's railway, the firm claimed in a statement. Since February 28, production has been halted.


Separately, Peru's Energy Ministry said that it had signed an agreement with Southern Copper to begin discussions with local people.


"If we were to shut for a year, the government would lose approximately 3.1 billion soles ($830 million) in taxes and royalties, as well as 8,000 direct and indirect employment. That is precisely what we want to prevent "Southern Copper's statement was supplemented.


Peru is experiencing a surge of demonstrations from indigenous communities alleging that mining companies are failing to provide adequate employment and money to underprivileged indigenous people.


Adrian Armas, the central bank's deputy governor, said last week that protests at copper mines including MMG's Las Bambas and Southern Copper's Cuajone are weighing on the economy.


Peru is the world's second largest copper producer, and mining is a significant source of cash for the government.


Protests erupted against many mining corporations in Peru in July, when leftist President Pedro Castillo was elected with the support of the country's poor mining districts.