• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
February 22nd - According to foreign media analysis, Nvidia has played a key role in driving the stock market to record highs for years. However, with growing skepticism about artificial intelligence, Wall Street is increasingly worried that the chip giants earnings report next week, regardless of the outcome, will depress its stock price. Nvidias stock price has been trading sideways for months, a significant setback for a company that was recently a leading index performer and achieved triple-digit year-over-year gains. Investors expect Nvidias earnings next week to exceed Wall Street expectations and raise forecasts for the next few quarters. But this may not be enough to boost the stock price. Meanwhile, if Nvidias performance fails to quell investor anxiety about artificial intelligence, it could lead to greater volatility in AI-related stocks and the broader market.February 22 - Libyas state-owned Arabian Gulf Oil Company (AGOCO) announced on Sunday that the Sinawan oil field in the Nalut region of western Libya has resumed production. The field had been shut down for over three years due to financial and technical problems. Under normal operating conditions, the field can produce up to 20,000 barrels of oil per day.February 22 – According to AXIOS, a senior U.S. official said on Sunday that if U.S. negotiators receive a detailed nuclear agreement proposal from Iran within the next 48 hours, they are prepared to hold a new round of talks with Iran in Geneva on Friday. The U.S. official stated that the current diplomatic efforts may be the last chance President Trump is giving Iran before launching a large-scale U.S.-Israel joint military operation (potentially targeting Iranian Supreme Leader Khamenei). The senior U.S. official indicated that the Trump administration is awaiting Irans proposal.U.S. Trade Representative Greer: We will continue the trade investigation so that we can impose tariffs.U.S. Trade Representative Greer: We will explore policy continuity issues after the tariffs imposed under Section 122 expire.

Macau Casino Revenues Jump in Jan After COVID Rules Eased

Charlie Brooks

Feb 01, 2023 14:55

微信截图_20230201145604.png


Macau saw an 82.5% year-on-year growth in gambling income to 11.6 billion patacas ($1.4 billion) in January, after the world's biggest gambling hub had nearly half a million tourist arrivals over the week-long Lunar New Year vacation.


The crowds were the greatest in more than three years, but January's income was still less than half of the Lunar New Year period in 2019 prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, according to data released by Macau's government on Wednesday.


Still investors cheered, pushing shares in Macau casinos up between 3% and 5%, while executives and experts said it was a promising indicator of a good recovery to come.


A special administrative area of China, Macau has seen a revival of tourists from the mainland since Jan. 8 after the territory abolished all COVID-19 testing requirements for inbound passengers from the mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan.


Tens of thousands of tourists flowed daily into Macau's casinos and attractive cobbled alleyways throughout the Lunar New Year vacation from Jan. 21, a sharp contrast to the paucity of visitors entering the former Portuguese territory since 2020.


Macau is the only place in the country where gambling in casinos is legal. It had rigorously followed China's zero-COVID strategy since 2019 and re-opened with the mainland.


January's revenues were the first for Sands China (OTC:SCHYY), Wynn Macau (OTC:WYNMF), MGM China (OTC:MCHVY), Galaxy Entertainment, MGM China and SJM Holdings (OTC:SJMHF) under new 10-year contracts.


The casinos had started under 20-year contracts in 2002, raking in billions of dollars and turning a quiet fishing community into a glamorous boomtown.


The new contracts, with tighter government oversight and control, were established when COVID-19 limitations destroyed Macau's gambling profits and sent net debt rising. The industry experienced its lowest revenue performance on record in 2022.


The city's once rich VIP economy has also collapsed following multiple arrests in Macau's junket industry. A Macau court on Jan. 18 sentenced Alvin Chau, one of the city's most well-known people, to 18 years in prison.


Casinos have pledged to investing a total of $15 billion in the future decade, 90% of which must be spent on building non-gaming plans that include an indoor waterpark, health and wellness centres, art exhibitions and a big garden attraction by Sands, akin to Singapore's Gardens by the Bay.


Whether or not they can fulfill a government goal to grow non-gaming revenues to more than 30% of the total from an average of 5% pre-COVID, the stakes are enormous.


Around fifty percent of Las Vegas's revenue comes from non-gaming sources.


Rob Goldstein, chairman and chief executive officer of Las Vegas Sands (NYSE:LVS) and majority owner of Sands China, stated that the company was experiencing a very robust recovery in Macau since COVID limitations were lifted.


Last week, he told analysts on a conference call, "We're just ecstatic to be open, making money, and seeing demand like this."


However, labor shortages are becoming evident as resorts and retail establishments scramble to increase employees to meet demand, and a Sands executive stated that as a result, some of its hotels are not running at full capacity.