• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
On August 19, French Foreign Minister Jean-Michel Barrow announced on social media that France would expel two Iranian diplomats in response to the detention and interrogation of two French diplomats by Iranian security services. Barrow had posted on social media on July 20 that Iranian security services had detained and interrogated two French embassy staff members for several hours the previous evening, violating their diplomatic immunity. Barrow also said he had told the Iranian Foreign Minister that this action was "extremely serious and unacceptable" and "will have consequences." The Iranian Foreign Ministry issued a statement on August 18, local time, saying that given the two French diplomats violation of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, Iran had decided to declare them persona non grata and prohibit them from entering Iran.On August 19, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Baghae refuted the UAEs accusation that Iran had fired missiles at it. He stated that such actions violated the principle of good neighborly relations and undermined efforts to strengthen trust among regional countries and prevent the escalation of insecurity. Baghae called on all parties to refrain from making unfounded accusations against Iran, given the complex situation caused by the continued malicious actions of the United States and Israel in regional peace and security, particularly the numerous false flag operations in recent years. Previously, the UAE announced the suspension of trade, commercial, and financial transactions with Iran.Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bagaei called on all parties in the region to refrain from making baseless accusations against Iran and to be wary of the continued malicious actions by the US and Israel that undermine regional peace and their history of using false flags.Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bagaei: Rejected the UAEs claim that Iran launched a missile.August 19th - According to The Information, Anthropic is preparing a class of shares with additional voting rights for CEO Dario Amodie and other co-founders to help the founding team withstand pressure from external shareholders. This will be the first time Anthropics leadership has had super voting rights. Given the relatively low percentage of shares held by the co-founders, this arrangement is seen as helping to maintain the founding teams control over the company. Anthropic also plans to retain its existing non-shareholder trustee system and use the special class of shares to elect a majority of board members to further reduce the influence of external shareholders on corporate governance.

Global Competition For Metals Thrusts Africa Into Mining Limelight

Haiden Holmes

May 10, 2022 09:49

G2.png


The necessity to secure new sources of metals for the energy transition in the face of sanctions against top producer Russia has raised the risk appetite of large miners in Africa, who have few options to the resource-rich continent.


Companies and investors are exploring projects they may have overlooked in the past, while governments are looking to Africa to ensure their countries can obtain sufficient metals to fuel an accelerated net-zero push.


This year's Investing in African Mining Indaba conference, which runs May 9-12 in Cape Town, will feature the highest-ranking U.S. government official in years, according to conference organizers, as well as representatives from the Japan Oil, Gas and Metals Corporation (JOGMEC), a sign of rich countries' growing concern over supply security.


Steven Fox, executive chairman of New York-based political risk consulting firm Veracity Worldwide, remarked, "The reality is that the world's desired resources are often located in challenging regions."


He stated that the U.S. administration intends to position itself as a prominent proponent of battery metals projects in sub-Saharan Africa.


"While Africa provides obstacles, they are not more tough than the corresponding set of challenges in Canada. It may be easier to complete a project in Africa than in Canada or the United States "He continued.


The United States has expressed support for additional domestic mining, but projects have stagnated. For instance, Rio Tinto's (NYSE:RIO) Resolution copper project was halted due to Native American land claims and conservation concerns.


Mining in sub-Saharan Africa is fraught with danger. Last month, Russia's Nordgold abandoned its Taparko gold mine in Burkina Faso due to the escalating threat posed by extremists, highlighting the severe security problem facing gold mines in the gold-rich Sahel region.


Even in South Africa, the continent's most industrialized economy, declining rail infrastructure forces some coal companies to truck their goods to ports.


With Russia's 7 percent of the global nickel supply, 10 percent of the world's platinum, and 25-30 percent of the world's palladium off the table, Africa's huge resources of these metals become considerably more enticing.


George Cheveley, portfolio manager at Ninety One, stated, "As a mining company, there aren't many prospects, and if you want to grow, you'll have to consider riskier countries."


"Clearly, following Russia-Ukraine, people are more sensitive to geopolitical risk, and you cannot forecast which projects will succeed and which will fail," he continued.


In January, Kabanga Nickel, a Tanzanian project, received finance from the multinational mining company BHP, and its chief executive officer, Chris Showalter, reported an increase in demand from possible offtakers.


Showalter stated that Western sanctions against Russia for its invasion of Ukraine are driving a reconfiguration of metals supply chains along geopolitical lines.


"Not everyone will be able to obtain clean battery metals from a friendly jurisdiction, so I believe some unpleasant decisions will have to be made, and it will push people to make new considerations about where they want to source."