• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
According to the Yomiuri Shimbun, the Japanese Prime Minister plans to reshuffle his cabinet in mid-to-late September.On August 21, the Federal Reserves reverse repurchase agreement (RRP) facility, open to foreign central banks and other monetary authorities, continued to see increased usage, with the balance rising for two consecutive weeks, reflecting that overseas official institutions are continuing to increase their dollar cash reserves. As of August 19, the amount of foreign entities holding funds in the Feds reverse repurchase pool rose to $373 billion, up from $357 billion a week earlier. Since August 5, the usage of this tool has increased by approximately $56 billion, marking the largest two-week increase since October 2022. The market is closely watching changes in the foreign reverse repurchase balance for signs that Japan is rebuilding dollar liquidity after intervening in the foreign exchange market last month to support the yen.Conflict Update: 1. US military updates casualty figures for the Iranian conflict: 18 dead, 757 wounded. 2. Iranian Revolutionary Guard: Houthi forces combat capabilities surge; new war will utilize "more ruthless" weapons. 3. Houthi forces: Successfully attacked Saudi Najran airport and Saudi Aramco facilities in the area. Strait of Hormuz: 1. Negotiations between Iran and Oman on a passage mechanism in the Strait of Hormuz are nearing completion. 2. Oman and Japan emphasize the urgency of opening the Strait of Hormuz. Peace Talks: 1. US officials: The White House believes talks between Iran and Oman broke down weeks ago. 2. Qatar states that current efforts are focused on mediating relations between the US and Iran. 3. Qatar seeks to join forces with Egypt to push for a US-Iran ceasefire, calling for ensuring unimpeded navigation in the strait. Other Matters: 1. Trump announces "the toughest economic action in history" against Iran. 2. Bulgarian Defense Minister: No direct threats from Iran seen. 3. US Treasury Department: The US issues new sanctions related to Iran. 4. Iranian Ambassador: Welcomes Russias assistance in improving relations between Iran and Gulf states. 5. Israeli Defense Minister: Erdogan is dragging Turkey into a dangerous adventure in Syria. 6. Iraq: Construction of new oil export pipelines may take 2-3 years. 7. Iran: The US says Iran is "on the brink of collapse," and those seeking help know who is truly in control. 8. According to CNBC: Irans inflation rate has soared to 89%, with food prices rising by 164%. 9. US Central Command says the USS George Washington aircraft carrier has been deployed to the Middle East. 10. According to CNN: Sources reveal that the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier has begun its return voyage, but remains within the Fifth Fleets operational area. 11. Six countries, including France, Germany, and Italy, issued a joint statement opposing Israels progress on the E1 settlement project. 12. Iranian Supreme National Security Council Secretary Rezaei: Faced with economic pressure from Trump, Iran should withdraw from the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. 13. Iranian Foreign Ministry: Condemns the USs new economic and trade sanctions against Iran, stating that Iran will use "all tools and capabilities" to safeguard its national interests and the legitimate rights of the Iranian people. 14. Iranian Foreign Minister Araqchi: Many of Trumps remarks are intended to divert the American publics attention from the domestic financial crisis, namely the record US debt and the sharp rise in bank interest rates. 15. UK Maritime Trade Operations Office: A report has been received of an incident 136 nautical miles east of Mukalla, Yemen. An oil tanker was approached by an unauthorized vessel while transiting the western Gulf of Aden.On August 21st, sources revealed that artificial intelligence company Anthropic is planning to bring in Citigroup as a lead underwriter for its initial public offering (IPO). If the deal goes through, Citigroup will join Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, and JPMorgan Chase as lead underwriters. Anthropic may file for listing with regulators as early as the end of this month. Lead underwriter status for a large IPO not only means substantial underwriting commission income but also helps improve an investment banks ranking in the equity financing market. Citigroup currently ranks among the top IPO underwriters in the US due to its participation in SpaceXs record-breaking $86.2 billion IPO. Sources indicated that Anthropics listing preparations are still underway, and the final underwriting syndicate list may be adjusted, with the possibility of adding other investment banks.Market news: Anthropic plans to add Citigroup (CN) as the lead underwriter in its large IPO.

Boeing will pay $200 million to resolve U.S. investor deception allegations on the 737 MAX

Haiden Holmes

Sep 23, 2022 11:11

8.png


Boeing Co. will pay $200 million to settle civil charges brought by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that it deceived investors about the 737 MAX, which was grounded for 20 months following two fatal disasters in which 346 people were killed, the agency stated Thursday.


According to the SEC's announcement of the settlement, Boeing (NYSE:BA) knew after the first crash that a flight control system posed a safety risk, but assured the public that the 737 MAX was "as safe as any that has ever flown the skies."


The SEC also claimed that former Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg had agreed to pay $1 million to settle allegations.


According to the SEC, Boeing and Muilenburg neither confirmed nor rejected the agency's findings. According to reports, a fund would be created for the benefit of concerned investors.


In after-hours trading, Boeing's stock rose 0.4%.


Gary Gensler, chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, stated in a statement, "In times of crisis and tragedy, it is particularly important for public firms and leaders to provide thorough, fair, and transparent disclosures to the markets.


He asserted that Boeing and Muilenburg "failed to achieve this most essential criteria."


The SEC has filed a lawsuit against Boeing and Muilenburg for "making materially misleading public statements following 2018 and 2019 Boeing aircraft crashes."


Boeing noted that "fundamental adjustments have strengthened our safety standards" and that the settlement was "part of the company's broader commitment to resolve remaining legal actions relating to the 737 MAX incidents in a proper manner."


The accidents were attributable to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System flight control system (MCAS). The SEC noted that "after the initial incident, Boeing and Muilenburg were aware that MCAS posed a continuous threat to airplane safety, but they assured the public that the 737 MAX was as safe as any other aircraft in the sky."


In October of 2018, an Indonesian Lion Air flight was engaged in the first crash.


After the second catastrophe, which occurred in Ethiopia in March 2019, the SEC noted, "Despite knowledge of contrary facts, Boeing and Muilenburg told the public there were no flaws or gaps in the MCAS certification process."


Boeing has settled the majority of litigation associated with the two fatal accidents. In 2018, the company was found liable for compensatory damages in claims filed by families of the 157 victims of the 2019 Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX crash. In an effort to resolve disputes, a small number of trials will likely begin in 2023.


Before allowing the planes to return to service, the FAA required updated training for 737 MAX pilots to deal with MCAS as well as important new protections and other software modifications to the flight control system.


The crashes cost Boeing more than $20 billion and forced Congress to pass sweeping legislation modifying the FAA's certification process for new aircraft. Boeing has until December to get FAA approval for the 737 MAX 7 and 10 models; else, the company must meet additional cockpit-alert requirements.


Boeing agreed in January 2021 to pay $2.5 billion in fines and compensation to end a Justice Department criminal investigation into the 737 MAX crashes.


The agreement between Boeing and the Justice Department, which exempted the company from prosecution, includes a $243.6 million fine, $1.77 billion in compensation to airlines, and a $500 million fund for crash victims in relation to fraud conspiracy allegations regarding the defective design of the airliner.


The families of six Boeing crash victims have asked a judge to rule that the government's compensation violated their legal rights.


Boeing fired Muilenburg in December 2019 after a dispute with regulators over the 737 MAX's return to service. Muilenburg's counsel, who neither confessed nor denied wrongdoing, did not respond promptly to a request for comment.


Muilenburg left Boeing with $62 million in earnings and pension benefits, but no severance pay.


SEC Enforcement Director Gurbir Grewal stated, "Boeing and Muilenburg prioritized profits over people by misleading investors about the safety of the 737 MAX in an effort to rehabilitate Boeing's image after two tragic accidents that resulted in the loss of 346 lives and incalculable suffering for so many families."


In November 2017, Boeing's current and former board members reached a $237.5 million settlement with shareholders to resolve a lawsuit questioning the board's management of the 737 MAX's safety.