• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
August 23 – The trade dispute between the US and Canada has escalated further, with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announcing that Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on US imports starting September 8. Carney stated on Saturday, “We are reluctantly taking this step because we recognize that it will increase costs for Canadians, reduce purchasing options, hurt innocent American businesses and states, and hinder cooperation between our two countries.” He said the retaliatory tariffs will primarily target steel, dairy products, home appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp, paper products, and electronics, with more details to be released in the coming days. Following the breakdown of trade negotiations on Friday evening, the US imposed 50% tariffs on hundreds of Canadian goods on Saturday, totaling approximately $20 billion, including plywood, alcoholic beverages, electrical equipment, and hockey equipment.On August 23, Russian President Vladimir Putin stated on August 22 that the Ukrainian armed forces had been launching missile and drone attacks against Russia for the past 40 days in an attempt to defeat Russia, but this was "nothing more than a gamble." He claimed that the Ukrainian attacks had not brought about any substantial change in the situation. Putin also stated that in response to the Ukrainian attacks on civilian infrastructure in Russia, the Russian military had intensified its attacks on Ukrainian companies, and that the retaliatory strikes by Russia were "more destructive."Canadian Prime Minister Carney: The government is prepared to provide financial support to affected industries under the new 50% tariff.Canadian Prime Minister Carney: Canada will provide tariff protection for certain industries.Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney: There is "no good news" about the future of the USMCA (United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement).

High Mortgage Rates Force First-time Buyers to Rent, According to Rightmove

Aria Thomas

Nov 25, 2022 14:27

11.png


The property website Rightmove (OTC:RTMVY) said on Friday that the demand for rental homes in the United Kingdom surged in October as prospective first-time buyers postponed their purchases owing to rising mortgage rates.


However, the total number of renters and purchasers on the market declined by 1% compared to the same period previous year.


In recent months, mortgage rates in the United Kingdom have risen beyond 6%, increasing after the "mini-budget" of former prime minister Liz Truss on September 23 rattled financial markets.


Since then, rates have fallen due to Jeremy Hunt's Autumn Statement, which guaranteed stamp duty reductions through March 31, 2025.


According to Britain's largest property marketplace, first-time buyers have been significantly impacted by the hike, prompting them to consider renting in the near future while they await the inevitable stability of mortgage rates.


Tim Bannister, a property expert at Rightmove, commented, "It is very understandable why some buyers, especially first-time buyers, are waiting for better financial stability."


Now that there are indicators that mortgage rates are stabilizing, it is probable that they will settle at a higher level than buyers in the past have experienced.


42% of prospective first-time buyers who intend to enter the property market over the next several years have already amassed their entire down payment while awaiting a reduction in interest rates. 43% more were engaged in savings.


Tenants are already facing a large increase in expenses owing to the rising costs of electricity, fuel, food, and council tax, which are reflected in the statistics.


As a result of the highest rate of inflation in 41 years, real wages are decreasing, placing incomes under the most severe pressure in decades.