• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
May 19th - According to an Axios report, two sources familiar with the matter revealed that in the 24 hours before Trump announced the cancellation of the planned strike on Iran on Tuesday, he spoke with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates. One US official stated, "Doha, Abu Dhabi, and Riyadh sent a unified message, roughly meaning Give us a chance to negotiate, because if you strike Iran, we will all pay a price." Another source said that Trump told some hawkish political allies that the three Arab leaders told him they did not want their oil and energy facilities to be destroyed in retaliation from Iran.The Nikkei 225 index opened 548.22 points higher, or 0.90%, at 61,364.17 on Tuesday, May 19.According to the Financial Times, if SpaceXs valuation reaches the expected $1.75 trillion, Dan Sondheims company, D1 Capital Partners, will hold shares worth approximately $20 billion.Japans nominal GDP grew at a preliminary rate of 0.8% quarter-on-quarter in the first quarter, below the expected 0.80% and the previous reading of 0.90%.On May 19th, according to foreign media reports, soybean oil futures on the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) closed higher on Monday, with the benchmark contract rising 2.4%, recovering some of last weeks losses. Stronger international crude oil futures, a clearer outlook for biofuel demand, and lower-than-expected US soybean oil inventories further supported soybean oil prices. Oilseed meal arbitrage trading was active on the day. Data released last week by the National Oilseed Processors Association (NOPA) showed that as of the end of April, NOPA members soybean oil inventories were 1.947 billion pounds, down 4.5% from March, slightly below market expectations, but up 27.5% from the same period last year. Calculations based on the USDAs weekly crush report showed that as of the week ending May 15, 2026, US soybean crush margins were $4.99 per bushel, up 2.04% from the previous week.

Roche Discontinues The Majority of Alzheimer's Drug Trials Due to Failure

Aria Thomas

Dec 01, 2022 11:02

3.png


The bulk of clinical trials of Roche's experimental Alzheimer's drug gantenerumab have been terminated, the company reported on Wednesday, after it failed to reduce the disease's progression in two large, late-stage testing.


Roche released the complete results of its twin studies at a symposium on Alzheimer's in San Francisco, after announcing in November that the drug had failed in both trials.


Roche's drug did not demonstrate a statistically significant benefit in patients with mild cognitive impairment and early Alzheimer's disease, in contrast to Eisai Co (OTC:ESALY) Ltd and Biogen Inc (NASDAQ:BIIBlecanemab,drug, )'s which is on track for U.S. regulatory approval after presenting positive trial results on Tuesday.


Both drugs are designed to eradicate beta amyloid types from the brain, which are believed to play a major part in the disease.


Compared to a placebo, Eisai's infusion delayed the advancement of Alzheimer's by 27% after 18 months, but Roche's drug showed just an 8% drop in the Graduate I study and a 6% decline in the Graduate II study after two years.


The drug's ability to eliminate amyloid from the brain may have been a distinctive feature.


Researchers noted in a presentation on Wednesday that gantenerumab, which is provided through injection, eliminated amyloid in just 28% of patients in the Graduate I trial and 25% of patients in the Graduate II study, which was half of what the firm had predicted.


Lecanemab eradicated amyloid in 68% of study subjects after 18 months.


Dr. Howard Fillit, chief science officer at the Alzheimer's Medicine Discovery (NASDAQ:WBD) Foundation, indicated that modifications in chemistry, dose, and administration by injection as opposed to infusion may have contributed to the failure of Roche's medicine.


The fact that the medication did not eradicate amyloid deposits in the brain as predicted had a substantial impact, he stated.


The field of Alzheimer's research is plagued by failure and disappointment, most notably for other drugs in the same class and previous attempts to demonstrate gantenerumab's effectiveness.


The drug failed to demonstrate a benefit when delivered at a decreased dose to individuals with moderate Alzheimer's in 2014, and it failed again in 2020 in a trial done by the Washington University School of Medicine on patients with an inherited type of Alzheimer's.


Clearly, certain drugs within the class are effective while others are ineffective, Fillet said.


According to an email statement from a company spokesman, Roche will cease all gantenerumab studies in early Alzheimer's disease, including extension studies of the Graduate trials and the Skyline Phase III investigation in patients with evidence of amyloid in the brain but no signs of cognitive decline.


"The amyloid clearance rate was lower than anticipated in graduate studies. We foresee a comparable, if less, effect on the Skyline population and think this insufficient for continuing "The representative stated.


In an effort to deliver more of the treatment to the brain, Roche continues to investigate trontinemab, an alternative formulation of gantenerumab designed to transport the medication across the blood brain barrier - protective blood vessels that prevent substances in the bloodstream from entering the brain.


Rachelle Doody, the global head of neurological drug development at Roche, said in a statement, "We remain committed to Alzheimer's disease and will move our focus to new and maybe improved ways for developing new treatments."